Saturday, August 1

Why B School

As much as I mentioned that I'm somewhat crippled by the thought of not being able to cope with the work at b-school, I'm actually quite thrilled at the thought of packing, moving off, and starting a brand new life in a brand new place.  Michigan is tremendously different from Singapore so I imagine this really means I'm starting on a well-polished new slate.

Which brings me back to the beginning of sorts.  To make a long story short (I'm writing this in the middle of the night and I really want to get to bed!), I was pretty much muddling my way through work (had work but didn't quite have a career per se) and for all the good turns I've taken in my life, in school in particular (gotten scholarships, did my Masters and all that), I wasn't getting very far, if at all.  And it didn't make feel good about myself.  Had many a conversation with a friend who found herself in pretty much the same situation.  She was a brilliant student, went to top colleges, was a pre-med student, got her straight As (her grades were far better than mine!) but somehow never quite achieved lift-off.  We concluded that while you could have done all the right things, ultimately, it all boiled down to drive, good decisions and a course you stuck to.  

That kinda shook me, in a disturbing way sort of way.  I didn't want the sum of everything I've done to be just this, in this small place, with these small experiences.  I realized then that I needed to do something with myself - to literally find a good direction (this was new to me, I never really had one...), drive there and keep on that road.  The meandering turns I've taken most of my life has left me in pretty much the same circumference I started in.  

So I began to think about what I wanted.  Yes I know this all sounds very melodramatic, but this was honestly how it all happened.  I decided to start over, go to school, get a masters in something that could help with my moving forward and well, the rest followed from there.

And now its really late, and I really need to call it a night.  Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment