Monday, April 5

The Sword in the Stone

My favorite Disney cartoon when I was a kid was The Sword in the Stone.  And wow, I certainly didn't know that this was actually released in 1963!  By the way, I'm not THAT old.  I wasn't born yet!

But its a awesome story of how Arthur the boy became the king under the wonderful tutelage of Merlin who teaches him lessons by turning him into a fish, a squirrel and I think even a bird.  And boy did my vocabulary grow from watching this video!  I remember owning this on a VHS tape and played it so much that it got all wonky on me.  And instead of getting me another show to expand my horizons, my folks got me the exact same VHS video!  To say that I was a fan is certainly an understatement.  

So anyway in 2008, they came up with a 45th anniversary edition and I'm thinking of getting one for my niece.  I'm not sure she'll love it as much as I did, and the cartoon-ing on it certainly isn't as fancy as what you'd get these days, but its a great story and sometimes good ol' hand drawn cartoons can't be beat.  Sure they aren't as smooth as what you'd get today, but to think that every single frame was hand drawn, now that's "Higutus Figutus" amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment